The first step to successfully implementing sustainable design is through education.
You must know how your company can benefit from sustainable design and what it means for the future. HLR has been a member of the U.S. Green Building Council since 2007 and works with its clients to develop environmentally responsible communities, promote sustainable development and energy independence according to high environmental responsibility standards.
Firm principal David Hensley is a LEED-Accredited Professional and a third-party provider for the City of Dallas Green Building Program. He currently serves on the Board of Directors for the North Texas Chapter of the U.S. Green Building Council and has served as a Green Task Force Committee member to implement Green Building Standards within Dallas for many years.
HLR’s experience with sustainable design programs includes:
- Austin Green
- Dallas Green
- Green Built Texas
- LEED for Homes
- National Green Building Standard
We adhere to fundamental sustainable principles to reduce energy consumption and minimize environmental impact, including:
- Using advanced framing techniques to reduce construction waste.
- Maximizing natural light and ventilation to reduce energy costs.
- Decreasing mechanical equipment loading and sizing.
- Creating structured parking to reduce the heat island effect & increase density.
- Designing within the existing infrastructure to enhance connections to alternative transportation.
- Specifying low-VOC and regionally available materials.
- Promoting the use of low-flow toilets, faucets and showers, as well as low-maintenance landscaping and irrigation.